Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Vassar College
Job Status: Full Time
Categories: Accounting/Auditing, Human Resources - Comp & Benefits, Human Resources - ALL CATEGORIES
Department: Accounting Services Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001651
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Manager of Payroll supervises and participates in the processing of all college payrolls: monthly, staff, service and student. The Manager oversees the preparation, filing and deposit federal and state payroll taxes and also the IRS and NYS quarterly and annual reports and tax forms, including 941's, W-2's and W-3's (all prepared and filed by the College's third party administrator). The Manager of Payroll assists with periodic accounting functions, including journal entries and time entry processes, and is responsible for general use and maintenance of all Payroll functions of the Human Capital Management module of the Workday ERP System. This position reports to the Controller, works closely with the Associate Controller, and supervises one clerical staff position.
• Understand and manage all payroll cycles and deadlines to ensure accurate and timely processing of information and delivery of pay.
• Interpret and maintain compliance with federal and state tax laws and regulations as well as pay-related international treaties.
• Interpret and apply internal policies and the provisions of several collective bargaining agreements as they relate to payroll.
• Coordinate benefits information with Human Resources to ensure correct processing through Payroll and transmission to third party providers.
• Prepare various imputed income calculations for employees and former employees or spouses (eg. leasehold values).
• Review all pays with payroll staff to ensure accuracy and completeness using Workday generated reports.
• Review payroll accounting adjustment requests and make corrections needed, consulting with Controller or Associate Controller when necessary.
• Develop, maintain, and monitor policies and procedures in connection with the operation of the College's Payroll processes.
• Provide regular updates to information contained in the Payroll section of the Accounting Services website.
• Ensure that proper internal controls and review procedures are in place for all payment transactions including check payments and direct deposit. Ensure all payments comply with IRS, state and federal regulations and related deductions and tax reporting are completed.
• For full list of Duties & Responsibilities, please visit job link below.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field with a minimum of five to seven years direct payroll experience in an accounting or business office or equivalent combination of education and/or experience required.
• Experience in higher education or other non-profit setting preferred.
• Experience with online banking and other electronic bill payments strongly preferred.
• Ability to effectively manage a small group of staff.
• Excellent written and oral communication and decision-making skills.
• Excellent knowledge of administrative and PC computer applications, including the Microsoft suite (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.).
• Knowledge of Workday, SCT Banner and Hyperion/Brio software or similar database and extraction/reporting software is a plus.
• Ability to interact effectively with others and maintain a professional and courteous demeanor during stressful situations.
• Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing priorities.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/1495959.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.