Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Equipment Operator ($15.35/hr)
at Valmont Corp
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
How you will contribute
Valmont is currently seeking a highly motivated and talented individual for the Heavy Equipment Operator position in the Folsom, NJ site. We are looking for a highly driven individual that will operate ground-controlled traveling and overhead cranes to lift, move, and position heavy steel loads and perform tasks to expedite the galvanizing operation. Additionally, you will…
- Use hoisting attachments such as hooks, chains or bucket to load material
- Be responsible for the cleaning and non-complex maintenance of both the crane and hoisting mechanism including inspection of the crane, hooks and chains regularly to maintain a safe operation within the department
- Monitor all process tanks and zinc bath to maintain proper temperature and adhere to cycle times in order to achieve a quality galvanized product every time
- Coordinate the use of equipment, process tanks, material and personnel in order to gain maximum productivity and capacity from the galvanizing process tanks and zinc bath
- Guide the material handlers in proper paddling procedures to ensure safe galvanizing procedures are continually followed
- Execute the drossing process to remove any impurities from the zinc kettle
- Set kettle temperature and remove lost parts from process tanks and kettle
- Perform 5S and other housekeeping tasks within the assigned area
- Actively participate on both Lean and safety teams
- Wear required personal protective equipment and follow facility safety regulations
- Maintain a safe and productive working environment
- Aid cleaners and packers to expedite process
- Perform tasks where needed to expedite process
What it takes
- The physical ability to hook and unhook loads of pipe and place dunnage between pipes as necessary for staging
- The physical ability to stand and walk duration of shift
- The visual and mental capacity to determine if the load hook up is safe and if any of the parts by be defective and need attention
- The ability to manipulate and decompress crane controls such as pedals, levers and buttons to regulate the speed and direction of crane and hoist
- A working knowledge of using e-mail
- The ability to work over ten hours a week in overtime when required for business needs The ability to recognize and solve practical problems or issues
- The ability to recognize hazardous substances and to know basic employee responsibilities for chemical safety
- Skills necessary to be highly efficient in the safe operation of 15 ton over-head bridge cranes
- High attention to detail
- Must have a high awareness for safety at all times
- Excellent hand and eye coordination with 20/20 corrected vision
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly qualified candidates will also possess:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One year of previous experience with overhead crane operations
- One year of previous experience in a manufacturing or fabrication environment
- Thorough understanding of the galvanizing process and of a material handler’s job duties as related to black goods staging procedures, raw material conditions, product venting, fixture safety, the padding function, product quality, and shop safety rules
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries, Inc. is a leading producer and distributor of products and services for the infrastructure and agricultural markets.
Valmont began in 1946 when founder, Robert B. Daugherty, combined his $5,000 savings with a wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. From those modest beginnings, the company grew into a global leader of engineered products and services for infrastructure, and water-conserving irrigation equipment and solutions for agriculture.
From lighting and traffic structures to guide the way, to communication towers that keep people connected, to utility structures that power homes and businesses, to irrigation equipment and technology that helps grow the world’s food, we are committed to Conserving Resources. Improving Life®.
Four primary business segments comprise Valmont: Engineered Support Structures; Coatings; Irrigation and Utility Support Structures. We manufacture products in over 80 different facilities spread across 6 continents and do business in over 22 different countries. Valmont is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol (VMI).
We are passionate about our products. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking products and processes to new markets, developing new products for existing markets, and continually improving across the company to ensure that Valmont solutions are always the global industry leader.