University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Labor/Employee Relations Officer - req# 11143
at University of New Mexico
Labor/Employee Relations Officer
|Working Title||Labor/Employee Relations Officer|
The University of New Mexico, Division of Human Resources (HR) is seeking a highly motivated, goal-driven professional with proven leadership skills to join our team as the Labor and Employee Relations Officer for staff employees. The University of New Mexico is the state's flagship institution of higher education, the state's primary healthcare provider and among the nation's most academically diverse public research universities. The Labor/Employee Relations Officer is responsible for the strategic planning and management of staff labor and employee relations programs for main campus, the Health Science Center (HSC) and Branch Campuses. The position represents UNM management and HR in leading staff labor unions contract negotiations and grievances, administering collective bargaining agreements, and promoting positive labor and employee relations. This position oversees high-level activities related to labor and employee relations and complaints involving staff received through the EthicsPoint reporting hotline and through other reporting methods. This position serves as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Clery Act and Title IX coordinator for HR. The person selected will conduct thorough, prompt and objective investigations into allegations of misconduct and other HR related investigations and/or policy violations and serves as an advisor and subject matter expert to senior leadership, HR Consultants, departmental HR liaisons, and management as it relates to staff labor and employee relations.
Staff Labor Relations
· Manages the negotiation, implementation, administration and compliance of collective bargaining and labor agreements; approves contractual language, wage schedules, and costing reports.
· Interprets labor contracts and agreements on behalf of the University.
· Conducts research necessary to support contract negotiations; uses appropriate negotiation strategies to develop bargaining goals and negotiate contracts consistent with the Universities goals.
· Facilitates on-going communication and working relationships with union representatives including coordination of joint labor-management committees in efforts to discuss and seek resolution of issues.
· Advises HR Consultants, HR Liaisons, and managers on labor relations issues, including grievance and disciplinary processes; negotiates and/or assists in the negotiation of labor relations issues and agreements.
· May represent the University in arbitrations and hearings related to unfair labor practice complaints.
Investigation of Complaints involving Staff
· Manages the investigation process for the Division of HR including assignment of cases, leading, guiding, and approving reports for the Labor/Employee Relations Specialist.
· Shares investigation duties with Labor/Employee Relations Specialist for all Human Resources assigned or directly reported complaints. Responsible for intake of the allegation, developing an investigation plan, conducting effective interviews, completing a written report and communicating the findings and recommendations to the administrator.
· Serves as a neutral fact finder that ensures the allegations are investigated efficiently, thoroughly reviewed and that they are addressed in compliance with established policies and procedures.
· Maintains detailed and accurate accounts of investigations with timely memorialization of the notes and supporting documents into the case management system.
· Reduces legal risks by tracking workplace issues, ensuring appropriate investigation and resolution, analyzing trends, and recommending or implementing programs to prevent workplace issues.
· Creates and runs periodic reports from the case management database to initiate a proactive, strategic approach to employee relations by identifying and analyzing ER data/metrics for themes, trends, and root cause identification. Shares findings with key stakeholders.
Other Key Responsibilities related to Staff
· Maintains current knowledge of employee and labor relations trends, legal decisions, and statutory changes.
· Oversees the development and delivery of management training programs pertaining to labor and employee relations matters, performance management, disciplinary actions and contractual obligations.
· Serves as a key contributor in the development and maintenance of comprehensive Human Resources policies and procedures concerning employee relations and personnel practices.
· Provides guidance and recommendations to HR Consultants on employee relations issues as requested.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 7 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Demonstrated expertise in labor and employee relations in a large, complex, higher education institution with a collective bargaining environment to include prior investigative, report writing and title IX experience.
· Supervisory or managerial level experience and outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
· Bilingual in English and Spanish
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||HR Labor & Employee Relations (730C0)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$85,314 ($7,109.56 monthly) dependent on experience|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/24/2019|
|Application Instructions||Applicants should provide a cover letter detailing their experience as it relates to the position summary and preferred qualifications, a current resume, and a list of at least three professional references.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.