ADAPT Community Network
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at ADAPT Community Network
Why Join ADAPT?
It's more than a job; it's a calling. It's where passion meets purpose. ADAPT Community Network, formerly United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of NYC provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. At ADAPT, we are 3,000 strong, and it takes every one of us to empower the lives of the people we support. With caring and great resources at hand, we know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people we support every day, and we all deliver on our promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
For your next career move, apply with us at ADAPT Community Network! Wherever you work among our many locations around New York City, ADAPT offers paid training, competitive benefits, and we foster a team culture of learning, support, collaboration and career growth.
Under general direction, is responsible for planning and teaching individuals to travel more independently in accordance to the needs and preferences of individuals served.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Community Specialist - Travel Trainer will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Conducts assessments of individuals’ current ability to travel safely and independently in the community using approved course work.
• Develops curriculum to train individuals and staff the basics of travel skills.
• Trains program staff and clinicians to provide support and training to individuals served.
• Teaches skills needed to prepare for safe travel such as identifying public transportation routes, how to contact supports if there are problems, etc.
• Accompanies individuals into the community and provides individualized and group training on specific skills and routes.
• Teaches basic safety skills such as street crossing and troubleshooting in case of difficulties.
• Attends ISP meetings and assists Program Staff to develop and implement valued outcomes relating to travel readiness.
• Identifies community organizations to collaborate with, and establishes opportunities for individuals to participate in activities with community members.
• During the training process, completes individualized assessments evaluating individuals’ ability to independently travel.
• Effectively communicates progress or lack thereof to members of the individuals’ team, including staff, family members, employers and other supports.
• Implements universal precautions at all times.
• Participates in in-service training programs as requested.
• Provides supervision and guidance to Direct Support Professionals during classes and in the community.
• Keeps abreast of changes in the field, including familiarity with the latest assistive technology used to enhance individuals ability to travel safely and independently.
• Performs other related duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and appropriate software
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organization skills and ability to meet deadlines
• Good interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with coworkers, individuals served, employees, parents and outside contacts
• Ability and willingness to adjust work schedule to attend and facilitate events that occur outside of regular business hours
• Ability and willingness to travel to various program sites
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High School Diploma and successful completion of recognized course in Travel Training.
• At least one year experience with individuals with disabilities
ADAPT Community Network is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and status are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels