ADAPT Community Network
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Supported Employment Spec
at ADAPT Community Network
Why Join ADAPT?
It's more than a job; it's a calling. It's where passion meets purpose. ADAPT Community Network, formerly United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of NYC provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. At ADAPT, we are 3,000 strong, and it takes every one of us to empower the lives of the people we support. With caring and great resources at hand, we know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people we support every day, and we all deliver on our promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
For your next career move, apply with us at ADAPT Community Network! Wherever you work among our many locations around New York City, ADAPT offers paid training, competitive benefits, and we foster a team culture of learning, support, collaboration and career growth.
Under general supervision, is responsible for developing and providing work site training and adjustment services to individuals in supported employment situations. Coordinates adaptation of the work site as needed. Assists the individual with personal and social needs as they apply to the work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Supportive Employment Specialist – Vocational Services will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Establishes and maintains contacts with business community in order to place individuals with developmental disabilities into competitive employment.
• Collects and documents information about employment leads including required skill level, hours of employment, accessibility, etc.
• Provides one on one intervention for individuals who have been placed at work sites.
• Completes all required paperwork accurately, neatly and timely.
• Trains individuals served to perform assigned work to best of their ability.
• Familiarizes individuals served with their new work environment.
• Attends staff meetings, case conferences and in-service training as required.
• Ensures that program participants are treated with utmost regard for their personal dignity.
• Participates in intake meetings and IPP conferences.
• Arranges transportation and/or provides travel training to enable individuals to get to job sites.
• Advocates for individuals served as requested.
• Assists Occupational Therapist with job site analysis, work site modification and building accessibility analysis.
• Maintains contact with VESID, OMRDD, Social Security, etc.
• Keeps abreast of changes in field.
• Performs other related duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
• Good interpersonal skills are required in order to interact effectively with employees, co-workers, other departments, families, employers, outside contacts, etc.
• Due to sensitive nature of the position, must be able to maintain the strictest confidentiality.
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to troubleshoot situations
• Good organizational skills
• Ability to relate to special populations and to understand the principles of behavior management
• Good oral and written communications skills
• May be transferred to another job site and/or title to meet agency needs
• Ability to travel to various places of employment for individuals with developmental disabilities.
• Availability and willingness to work varied work schedules and work environments
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's Degree
• One year of related work experience.
ADAPT Community Network is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and status are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.