The New School
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Payroll
at The New School
The Human Resources office of The New School seeks a Director of Payroll. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources, this position directs the payroll function for the University, providing review and oversight for accurate and timely salary and wage payments to faculty, staff, and student employees.
* Directs weekly, biweekly and monthly payroll processes for faculty, staff, and student employees.
* Proactively identifies, researches, analyzes and resolves payroll related issues and discrepancies, and collaborates with University departments to ensure system and data integrity in the universitys Workday system and all related systems.
* Manages and cross-trains the universitys payroll staff.
* Develops and maintains processes to ensure best practices, internal controls, and compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and the Universitys policies and procedures.
* Manages processing in the universitys Workday Payroll system, and plans and manages the implementation of Workday system changes and updates.
* Oversees the universitys relationship with ADP for payroll and tax processing.
* Updates earning and deduction codes as needed, and coordinates with the universitys Finance office to update GL posting rules.
* Oversees inbound and outbound integration files for third party vendors.
* Manages payment requests for garnishments.
* Maintains non-union time off and time tracking processes, including system process improvements.
* Initiates and controls W-2 processing and reconciling
* Works collaboratively with the universitys Finance office in leading preparation of payroll information for the universitys annual audit and other audits as needed.
* Oversees Non-Resident Alien processing for Faculty, Staff and Student workers to insure appropriate W-2/1042-S reporting and tax withholding.
* Remains current with United States and New York City and State payroll related regulations and tax laws.
* Maintains third party vendor client relationships.
The New School is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that promises diversity and tolerance in all areas of employment, education and access to its educational, artistic or cultural programs and activities. The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including actual or perceived gender identity or expression or transgender status), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Skill / Requirements
* Bachelors Degree required
* Strong Excel and other Microsoft Office application skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Five years of payroll management experience in a mid-sized or large organization
* Certified Payroll Professional certification or equivalent
* Familiarity with Thomson Reuters WindStar software
* One or more years of experience with Workday payroll processing
* Experience managing Payroll in a University environment
* Experience working with ADP for payroll and tax processing