The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll & Accounting Specialist
at The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
Payroll & Accounting Specialist
Lutheran Church Extension Fund
The primary mission of the LCEF is to provide financial resources and related services for ministry, witness, and outreach of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. In so doing it shall raise funds primarily through the issuance of notes and other debt instruments. Its assets shall be used exclusively for the following: To provide financing and services for the acquisition of sites; the construction of facilities; the purchase of buildings and equipment; operating expenses; professional church worker education; the residential housing needs of professional church workers; and other purposes approved by its governing board consistent with the ministry and mission of the Synod under policies approved by the Board of Directors of Synod.
Payroll & Accounting Specialist reports to the Manager, Payroll & General Accounting.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepares and processes semi-monthly payroll including all related reporting and analysis.
- Prepares journal entries relating to payroll expense, employee deductions, charges from ADP, tax liabilities, and mortgage & savings deposits to the LCMS.
- Prepares reconciliation of liability accounts related to employee benefits; analyzes and corrects all discrepancies.
- Reviews expense reimbursement vouchers for compliance with LCEF policies.
- Reviews payroll activity for employee time reporting relating to overtime and absences.
- Prepares annual incentive compensation payment for eligible employees.
- Processes employee withholdings and related check request vouchers for benefits, levies, child support orders, creditor garnishments and any other court appointed garnishment.
- Manages record retention and electronic storage of all payroll related reports and documentation.
- Manages retention of source documents including month-end reporting documentation, accounts payable vouchers, cash receipt vouchers, journal vouchers, and cancelled checks for subsequent imaging.
- Data entry of accounts payable vouchers, journal vouchers, cash receipt documentation, invoice support, and credit memorandums.
- Prepares various document types for imaging. Verifies imaged documentation for accuracy prior to destroying the original documentation.
- Maintains manual of desk procedures to reflect current procedures.
- Provides significant back-up assistance for all areas of the accounting department.
- Complies with revisions made from time to time, after mutual consultation, in this position description.
Education and Experience
- Two years payroll preparation and processing experience.
- Two years experience preparing account reconciliations and related journal vouchers.
- Coursework towards an Associate’s Degree in Accounting, preferred.
- Active member of a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregation, preferred.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Basic understanding of computerized accounting and payroll systems.
- High proficiency with computer keyboards, especially numeric keypad speed.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office software, especially Excel.
- Highly organized, dependable, and detail conscious.
- Ability to exercise discretion in confidential matters.
- Self-starter; capable of sustaining high levels of output.