The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HOUSING SUPERVISOR-SER-12 HR
at The Geo Group
Facility: MOORE HAVEN CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position requires supervision of a specific housing area each shift and is responsible for maintaining the security of the facility as well as custody of the inmate population. The Housing Sergeant is relied upon to exercise mature judgment and function with a minimum of direct supervision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports for duty, ready to work, at assigned time for briefing and post assignment.
- Investigate disciplinary problems and intervenes in situations beyond the authority of subordinates. Observes facility, personnel and inmates from the standpoint of security, morale, and employee-inmate relations.
- Conducts and maintain accurate counts of inmates at all times including counts at irregular times when directed.
- Communicates with inmates to give instructions and listen to their complaints or problems; identify and act on those within staff control or refer problems/complaints to appropriate supervisor or department.
- Check records and report the status of all security equipment and features of the facility, i.e., windows, frames, doors, exterior walls and locks as prescribed by supervisors and post orders.
- Ensures that Correctional Officers have read and are thoroughly familiar with the Post Orders of the duty post they are assigned to.
- Maintains security of all keys and equipment assigned to staff on their shift.
- Physically checks all persons entering, departing, or moving in the facility to determine that they are authorized to enter and/or depart. Refuses entry to the facility, pending a supervisory check, of any suspected unauthorized party.
- Maintain a neat, clean, well groomed, professional appearance at all times while in uniform. The facility uniform will be worn as a complete set as specified in facility policy and procedures.
- Conducts security inspections of equipment; searches and shakedown of housing units, work and administrative areas as required, directed, or assigned.
- Investigates and report all questionable illicit activities involving either staff or inmates to include minor and major disciplinary infractions, accidents and incident reports.
- Instructs and counsel inmates to ensure their cooperation with facility rules and regulations.
- Prepares reports connected with position responsibilities to include special progress reports, work reports, disciplinary infractions, accidents (both minor and major), and incident reports.
- Drives a vehicle for the transportation of inmates on scheduled or emergency trips.
- Supervises drills and other activities to ensure a constant state of readiness adhering to current emergency procedures.
- Provides relevant information and training to Correctional Officers and to other Housing Sergeants during the Shift Briefing period.
- Ensures that logbooks are kept current during their shift.
- Ensures that assigned posts are covered at all times by the Correctional Officers assigned to them.
- Submits written recommendations to change facility policies and procedures to improve/correct security, safety, custody, and control within the facility.
- Makes written annual performance reports of staff under their supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least one (1) year experience as a Correctional Officer is recommended.
- Thorough knowledge of the policies and procedures relating to security of the Facility. Must be mature, flexible, cooperative, fair and firm in dealing with staff and inmates.
- Must be able to subdue recalcitrant inmates during fights or assaults.
- Must be able to walk for continuous patrolling of responsible areas, stand for extended periods to protect crime scene, and man escape posts.
- Must be able to run to pursue attempted escapees, reach areas under duress quickly, and be capable of working under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to work within noisy groups in order to distinguish if a person(s) presents a physical threat to himself or others and specifically to sit and stand at duty posts, drive a vehicle when instructed to do so and inspect housing units and work areas.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.