The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ASST DOG TRAINER
at The Geo Group
Facility: GRACEVILLE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position assists in providing dog development and detection dog task training to selected inmate handlers; coaches and supports socialization activities and maintenance obedience training to maximize each dog’s potential success as a detection/working dog.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in screening and selecting suitable inmate handlers based on the program and facility rules and regulations.
- Instructs inmate handlers on proper dog behavior, socialization, obedience and detection dog task training.
- Prepares and follows-up on inmate handler’s weekly training records and assignments.
- Reports on the progress of dog training and socialization to assess physical and temperament development for potential service as detection dogs.
- Participates in other projects and special tasks as assigned by the management.
- Works with dog department to facilitate placement of new puppies and return of dogs when training completed.
- Responsible for the return of advanced training dogs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in dog obedience instruction, service dog instruction, foster puppy instruction and ability to evaluate and manage volunteers.
- Ability to evaluate and monitor progress of puppies relating to desirable physical and temperament traits.
- Ability to travel, spending approximately 75% of time working at prison and 25% of time traveling to socialize and train dogs off site.
- Must possess valid state driver license.
- Excellent presentation, teaching, and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.