State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DCYF- Social Service Specialist In-training (SSS3)
at State of Washington
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2479756
Overall Job Objective
The Department of Children, Youth, and Families is a new cabinet agency in Washington State that has been established for the purpose of delivering existing services in a way that produces better outcomes for children, youth, and families served by the State of Washington.
Our mission, culture, and benefits are paramount. DCYF was created to be a comprehensive agency exclusively dedicated to the social, emotional and physical well-being of children, youth and families -- an agency that prioritizes prevention and early intervention at critical points along the age continuum from birth through young adulthood.
A core set of organizational values and guiding principles are foundational to our work. Our values include inclusion, respect, integrity, compassion and transparency. Our guiding principles are:
- A relentless focus on outcomes for children;
- A commitment to collaboration and transparency;
- A commitment to using data to inform and evaluate reforms, leveraging and aligning existing services with desired child outcomes;
- A focus on supporting staff as they contribute to the agency's goals and outcomes.
- Paid vacation, sick leave, 10 paid holidays and a personal holiday.
- Medical benefits and retirement.
Home to some of the best coffee, entertainment, education, and outdoor activities, there is something for everyone here in Washington! With over 50 office locations statewide, we are sure to have the right one for you. From diverse cultural events and community activities to boutique shopping, locally owned restaurants, live theater, and entertainment there is something for everyone. Outdoors more your thing? Come hike through our old-growth rainforests, visit the San Juan Islands, kayak the Puget Sound, fish in one of our many famous lakes and rivers, or enjoy the cascading waterfalls.
Do you want the ability to impact families in a positive way? Are you the type of employee who is consultative and enjoys being engaged with your clients? If this sounds like you, bring your professional knowledge, excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence to work for DCYF at our Sky Valley/Monroe Office.
What we are looking for:
We are currently seeking proactive learners and resilient contributors to join our Child Protective Services (CPS), Children and Family Welfare Services (CFWS), Family Assessment Response (FAR) and Family Voluntary Services (FVS) programs located in our Snohomish County Offices (Lynnwood, Sky Valley, Monroe, Everett, Smokey Point).
Some of what you'll do as a Social Service Specialist:
- Meet all casework management directives required by law, policy, and other mandates.
- Perform advanced level work in the investigation of child abuse and neglect allegations and specialized case management.
- Investigate allegations, assess complex family situations, and develop plans to protect children either in their own homes or out of home care through the intervention of the court system.
- Make findings of abuse or neglect based on the results of the investigation.
- Focus on understanding and respecting the strengths of families including their heritage, cultural beliefs and values, communication and learning styles.
- Work independently in devising your own work methods to provide an advanced level of specialized, culturally competent, and solution focused case management.
- Utilize the Child Health and Education Tracking (CHET) Screens.
- Provide accurate and timely entries into FamLink.
The goal class for this position is a Social Service Specialist 3. We are willing to consider candidates at the Social Service Specialist 2 level, with a training plan to advance to a Social Service Specialist 3. Experience is the only difference between qualifications for both levels, and will be evaluated by the hiring manager.
Required Qualifications for the Social Service Specialist 3 level:
Professionals with one year of experience as a Social Service Specialist 2
Bachelor's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and three years of paid social service experience performing functions equivalent to a Social Service Specialist 2.
Master's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field and two years of paid social service experience equivalent to a Social Service Specialist 2.
Note: A practicum will be substituted for the one year of paid social service experience
Degrees must be obtained from an accredited institution.
Required Qualifications for the Social Service Specialist 2 level:
12 months as a Social Service Specialist 1 AND Completion of the agency's Social Service Specialist training program.
Bachelor's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and two years of paid social service experience performing functions equivalent to a Social Service Specialist 1.
Master's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field and one year of paid social service experience equivalent to a Social Service Specialist 1.
NOTE: A two year Master's degree that includes a practicum will be substituted for the one year of paid social service experience.
Degrees must be obtained from an accredited institution.
In addition to those required qualifications, our ideal applicant will also have some or all of the following:
- Ability to make critical decisions, based on integration of information from multiple sources that may be discrepant, in high-stress situations
- Ability to engage children and families under difficult circumstances, to gather information to make accurate and precise decisions
- Proven ability to identify problems, develop and implement solutions
- Ability to communicate information both orally and in writing so others will understand
- Ability to remain calm when being confronted and to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities
How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application, applicants should attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position
- Current resume detailing experience and education
- Copy of college degree or transcripts
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Your competitive salary is only a portion of the benefit package you will receive. We take care of our employees and provide 10 paid holidays, one paid personal holiday, paid annual leave and sick leave, excellent retirement plans, affordable health insurance, and no-cost dental, basic life and long-term disability insurance, with the option to purchase additional coverage. Additional insurance coverage, like auto and home insurance, is available to employees at reduced rates.
The initial screening will be based on the content and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
DCYF is an equal opportunity employer and supports equity, diversity, inclusion and respect.
Need accommodation throughout the application/interview process? Unable to apply on-line? Contact the Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 407-1429 or the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at 800-833-6388
Experiencing technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application? Call NEOGOV toll-free at (855)524-5627 or email email@example.com.
To take advantage of Veteran's preference please attach your DD-214, member 4 long form, or your NGB-22.Please black out your social security number prior to attaching.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
SSS 2/3 continuous 2019-05902