San Jacinto College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Manager, Payroll
at San Jacinto College
San Jacinto College
Equal Opportunity Statement: The San Jacinto College District is committed to equal opportunity for all students, employees, and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Assistant Manager, Payroll - District Office
Essential Job Functions :
1. Serve as office manager of four full time payroll specialist. Provides guidance, counseling, planning, disciplining, appraising, assigning workloads, job responsibilities and performs performance evaluations. Performs designated duties of the payroll manager in his/her absence. Serve as back up to any employee when absent or when work load requires assistance.
2. Ability to process the monthly and biweekly payroll from start to finish. Review, code and input (data entry) timesheets, leave reporting, and substitute forms for multiple campuses. Reconcile automated output to source data within assigned time frame. Analyzes and reconciles adjustments and changes for the pay period. Confirms accuracy, completeness, and compliance with College policy, federal, state and local regulations.
3. Works with campus personnel to accurately and timely process bi-weekly and monthly payroll and resolve any issues.
4. Review payroll changes (new hire, terminations, vacation hours, and compensatory time), and correct errors to ensure accuracy of payroll within assigned time frame.
5. Oversee completion and review multiple retirement reports:
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas - TRS
- O ptional Retirement System of Texas - ORP
- EPARS Submission
This includes balancing reports, general ledger accounts, submission of TEAMS reporting, and submission of funds via Texnet. All functions must be processed within state mandated deadlines.
6. Customer service - Answer employee questions concerning paychecks and web time entry either via telephone of email correspondence.
7. Review Board minutes received from Human Resources (HR). Reconcile Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAFs) and Extra Service Agreements (ESAs) to Board minutes and resolve discrepancies.
8. Responsible for uploading accurate direct deposits College depository bank for further dissemination to employee's accounts. Maintain direct deposit information initial input and changes initiated by employees. Process employee's direct deposit returns. Correspond with the employee or vendor to receive corrected account information and resend direct deposit file or process a manual check. Collaborate with Purchasing or Accounts Payable for vendor related changes. Approve outgoing bank wires as needed.
9. Assists in the development, publishing, and implementing of payroll schedules and calendars and payroll documentation.
10. Train employees to ensure that they know and follow proper payroll procedures.
11. Maintain accurate and complete payroll records for audit purposes,
12. Assists in the preparation for federal quarterly tax return, other state reports, and year-end activities including preparation of federal W-2s.
13. Responsible for maintenance of child support garnishments to various states. Must notify employee upon receipt of a garnishment order.
14. Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Adhere to College values, policies, procedures, office practices and management principles.
- Able to perform all essential assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks to established practices, procedures, techniques, philosophies, and standards with minimal supervision.
- Interpret federal, state, and local regulations and accounting standards pertaining to payroll transactions sufficient to prepare complex and detailed financial reports.
- Analytical skills that allow for interpretation of financial and related management information. Detail oriented requiring proofreading materials, data entry with few or no errors.
- Internal Revenue Codes, state laws, retirement agency rules/regulations.
- Principles, best practices and trends in payroll management.
- Applicable federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Effective organizational and planning skills, attention to detail, follow through in a fast-paced environment and prioritize a heavy workload under pressure in order to meet constant deadlines and work beyond scheduled hours when required.
- Respond flexibly and positively in circumstances that require a shift between several tasks without loss of continuity.
- Maintain confidentiality of payroll related information and materials through exercising good judgment and discretion with regards to sensitive personnel or organizational matters.
- Computer technology used to maintain records, generate reports and communicate with others.
- Oral and written communication to interact effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic or educational backgrounds. Contributes to cultural diversity for educational enrichment
- Operating required office equipment such as: facsimile, photocopier, typewriter, personal computer, ten key calculator by touch,
- General math calculations, business English, appropriate use of words, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications with a high proficiency in MS Excel and Word.
- Provide quality customer service
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting or Finance from an accredited university.
- Two years of accounting experience with an automated system.
- Two years of payroll processing experience with an automated system.
- Two years of work experience in management of accounting personnel.
- Experience in higher education environment with Ellucian - Banner HR/PR software
- FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification)
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional)
Salary Grade: 25
Salary is based on the Board-approved salary schedule for the current fiscal year. See Salary Schedule
Requisition Number: req2199
Posting Close Date: 11/6/2019