National Jewish Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Environmental and Occupational Health Safety Coordinator
at National Jewish Health
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 11820
Categories: Administrative/Clerical, Human Resources - Risk & Safety, Human Resources - ALL CATEGORIES, Green
Full Time (40 hours per week), Day Shift: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Req # 11820
Some call it a career. For us it’s a calling.
National Jewish Health is currently seeking a Personal Respiratory Protection Program Coordinator to join our Industrial Outreach Program within the Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences (DEOHS). DEOHS is a multidisciplinary team focused on the detection, treatment and prevention of diseases caused by occupational and environmental exposures.
The position serves as the
- Administrator of Personal Respiratory Protection Program (PRPP), which is specifically designed to benefit both employers and employees by helping protect workers exposed to potentially harmful air contaminants on the job.
- Works in conjunction with the Respirator Fit Technician to ensure the program complies with all phases of the SHA Respiratory Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134.
- Assists external health care facilities with adherence to OSHA and Joint Commission standards regarding the use of personal respiratory protection for Tuberculosis Control.
- Directs all marketing and sales efforts for the PRPP throughout the desired target area.
Serves as Program Administrator of Personal Respiratory Protection Program (PRPP), which is specifically designed to benefit both employers and employees by helping protect workers exposed to potentially harmful air contaminants on the job. Works in conjunction with the Respirator Fit Technician to ensure the program complies with all phases of the SHA Respiratory Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134. Will assist external health care facilities with adherence to OSHA and Joint Commission standards regarding the use of personal respiratory protection for Tuberculosis Control. Will direct all marketing and sales efforts for the PRPP throughout the desired target area.
- Administers the day-to-day business operations of the Personal Respiratory Protection Program.
- Designs and implements marketing plan to develop business for the organization. This includes generating leads for possible contracts, securing consulting contracts from interested individuals and organizations and coordinating and scheduling internal and external clients.
- Manages the program budget, client billing and provides follow up as needed.
- Responds to phone calls; schedules on-site appointments; processes appointment letters and questionnaires, assists in designing and completing testing paperwork; copying charts, sends results to appropriate parties, maintains files, and performs charge entry for the program.
- Administers and monitors the PRPP budget, including capital equipment and maintenance costs.
- Assists with PRPP consultations.
- Schedules medical evaluations for employees required to use respirators; helps the respirator user with proper respirator selection; performs quantitative and qualitative respirator fit testing for tight-fitting, NIOSH-approved respirators; provides training in the use of Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPRs)
- Provides detailed education and training to respirator users; under the direction of the Industrial Hygienist, trains workers about the respiratory hazards to which they are potentially exposed during routine and emergency situations; develops procedures for regularly evaluating the effectiveness of the program.
- Assists Employee Health and Infection Control with the National Jewish in-house needs for personal respiratory protection, including that for the Tuberculosis Control Program
- Cleans and maintains test respirators and fit-testing instruments and other equipment; Orders and maintains stock of necessary respirators, instruments, and other equipment and supplies.
- Maintains a good working relationship with customers, respirator manufacturers, and local safety supply vendors.
- Functions as key member of the occupational medicine program with regard to development of new business initiatives.
- Provides ongoing consultation and expert technical advice to physicians regarding OSHA personal respiratory protection standards and medical clearance & fit testing protocols.
- Acts as a technical advisor and educational resource to businesses, health care organizations, physicians, and other health and safety professionals. Provides educational lectures and interactive seminars.
- Writes, edits, and co-authors respiratory protection testing documents and training materials.
- Assists in research and development activities associated with the PRPP and other division business initiatives. Collects outcomes data under supervision of the Medical Director.
- Oversees updating, maintenance and marketing of qualitative respirator fit device, with particular emphasis on developing new clients (e.g. Health Care facilities, Power Plants, Industrial Plants, Border Patrol etc).
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Extensive knowledge of and experience with the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard, 29 CFR 1910.134, as well as the OSHA Tuberculosis Standard. Demonstrated ability to perform quantitative and qualitative respirator fit testing. Must have an enthusiasm for marketing a wide range of services within the health care and safety industry. In addition, must have excellent oral and written communication, planning, organization, leadership and interpersonal skills. Must be trained to conduct both qualitative and quantitative respiratory fit testing. Experience with coordinating a multidisciplinary consulting team and handling a wide range of tasks. Must possess a sound understanding of the health and safety industry.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business or a healthcare related field required.
Certification and Licensure
CPR/BLS certification required.
Five (5) years of marketing/sales experience, preferably for a healthcare product or service, required. Ability to develop and execute detailed marketing plans and programs in a health care setting.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a clinical environment. Frequent requirements may include: reading and comprehending medical literature, including basic interpretation of disease processes, medical charts, and instructions. Communication includes ability to chart vital signs and other basic information. Communication with interdisciplinary team as well as with differing ages and levels of maturity/understanding of patient and family, taking and recording telephone messages. Manual dexterity, manipulating equipment such as blood pressure kit, oximeter, spirometer. Frequently, has the need to assist a patient by moving or lifting. Considerable physical demands, requiring lifting up to 25 pounds Also involves pushing wheelchairs, opening doors and cabinets, reaching for objects. Occasionally will need to crawl in order to retrieve a fallen object for a patient. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: The potential of coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens. Has frequent exposure to infectious diseases. Occasionally, may encounter radiation from portable radiology procedures. May come into contact with various fumes/odors. Also may encounter contaminated biological waste from infectious patients. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!