Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Data Governance Risk Manager, Vice President
at MUFG Americas
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018) with total assets of over $2.9 trillion (106.2 (JPY) as of March 30, 2018) and 150,000 colleagues in more than 50 countries. In the U.S., we're 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that's working to fulfill its vision to be the world's most trusted financial group.
The Data Governance Risk Manager reports into the Head of Data Risk Management, as part of Operational Risk Management (ORM). This position is responsible for supporting the second line of defense enterprise wide data risk framework including data risk policy and standards, risk assessments and risk appetite. The individual in this position has oversight and challenge responsibilities for first line of defense data risk activities.
- Provide support for developing and maintaining a second line independent data risk management framework, standards, methodology and policy, including roles and responsibilities, aligned with BCBS 239.
- May participate in, and monitor first line governance committees.
- Execute independent validation protocols that are risk-based and ensure the bank's risk data aggregation and reporting processes are adequate and aligned with BCBS principles. This includes independent review of risk data aggregation and reporting processes. The validation protocols should be aligned with and support the bank's core operational risk programs, including Risk and Control Self-Assessment, Third Party Risk Management, New and Expanded Products and Services, and Transaction Reviews. This will include working with the respective program owners to ensure proper coverage of data governance risks and controls in their risk, process, vendor, product, and transaction assessments
- Partner with Risk Disciplines in review of data aggregation controls to ensure the data that is used for Risk Reporting and other critical processes is accurate, reliable, timely and complete.
- Coordinate with the ORM Challenge teams to provide ongoing independent review and challenge for first line of defense (FLOD) data risk activities and compliance with the data risk standards and framework.
- Work with the FLOD in defining the data risk appetite, including defining business specific and enterprise-wide data risk metrics and the establishment of tolerance limits and reporting.
- Support requirements for execution of risk assessments by the FLOD. Coordinate with the Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) team to incorporate into the RCSA methodology. Support defining and maintaining the data risk and control taxonomy.
- Using RCSA and other ORM tools, independently identify and assess aggregate data management risks, trends and emerging risks. Use such assessments to determine if actions need to be taken to strengthen risk management or reduce risk.
- Perform on going monitoring of data key risk metrics and ensure breaches are properly addressed and escalated as appropriate.
- Support production of aggregate enterprise-wide data risk reporting for management and the applicable risk committees. Ensure material data risks and events are escalated to management and relevant committees.
- Stay abreast of evolving/emerging risks and industry practices.
- BA or BS degree preferred.
- Typically requires 6+ years direct work experience in data governance and risk management in the financial industry.
- Requires extensive knowledge of data management operations from both process and technology perspectives.
- Excellent skills in data risk assessment analysis, identifying trends and signs of changing risk levels.
- Ability to work cross functionally to establish collaborative and productive working relationships.
- Team player who can excel in a fast paced, challenging environment with a strong desire to continuously improve and learn new things.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, with the ability to document conclusions.
- Experience managing challenging discussions, with the ability to influence.
Ability to manage multiple priorities, and independently manage work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.