Best Western International, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Best Western International, Inc.
Today’s Best Western has been on a journey of incredible transformation, elevating our brand image, improving the guest experience and enhancing our organizational culture. Today, this culture of modernization and innovation is embraced by our more than 1,000 corporate employees, many of whom have stayed with Best Western for 10, 20, even 30+ years. We are proud to have created a work atmosphere that provides an exciting, fun and rewarding place to work every day.
Essential Job Results
* Preserves accurate and timely processing and payment of U.S. and Canadian payrolls by leading in-house payroll function. Supervises payroll representative who processes full cycle in-house US payroll as well as coordinates with an outsourced payroll vendor in processing Canadian payroll.
* Executes specialized payroll transactions by researching and calculating special items including executive compensation, third party sick pay, non-cash taxable incentives, 401(k) match, and year-end adjustments. Ensures accurate and timely issuance of W-2s; audits employee W-2 data.
* Directs compilation, preparation and payment of all employment taxes to include federal and state tax filings for U.S. and federal and provincial tax filings for Canada to ensure compliance with government and regulatory agencies.
* Serves as a liaison with departments and all levels of management, as well as government, state and provincial agencies to resolve payroll and tax related matters.
Collaborates with HR and management, including executive team, to ensure that new initiatives with a payroll effect are developed in compliance with regulations.
* Maintains the integrity of automated systems by functioning as the payroll/time and attendance systems administrator which includes coordination of operation, maintenance and updates. Identifies potential issues with data feeds between payroll and accounting systems, as well as 3rd party vendors.
* Protects effective internal controls and adherence to payroll policies and procedures. Evaluates procedures for continued compliance with laws and regulations. Updates policies as needed for new or updated laws and regulations.
* Prepares moderately complex payroll reports for management, and provides detailed reports for internal audit purposes. Maintains a high standard for business confidentiality and data management.
* Effectively communicates and trains employees and managers on the time and attendance system and payroll policies and procedures.
* Motivates and coaches payroll staff to assess developmental and training opportunities to create a high-quality, results-driven team environment
* Leads special projects, such as systems upgrades and conversions. Possess ability to develop test scenarios based on business process knowledge.
- Minimum 8+ years payroll (in-house preferred) and accounting experience with a company of 500 + employees.
- 3+ years’ experience supervising one or more payroll.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA/CPP preferred.
- HRMS Workday experience highly preferred.
- Canadian payroll experience highly desired.
- Working knowledge of U.S. Federal and Multi-State and Canadian Federal and Province payroll laws, regulations and tax filings for Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual reporting, including W2 & T4 preparation.
- Working knowledge of garnishment orders and laws, HSA, 401(k)/NQP and RRSP plans.
- Intermediate ability to maneuver through payroll systems including the capability to write queries and reports using automated payroll system.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Advanced proficiency with MS Excel is a plus.
- Self-starter with excellent attention to detail. Organized.
- Ability to multi-task and balance a broad range of responsibilities in a deadline-driven, high-volume, changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and proactively problem-solve.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.