Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Human Resources Director
Job Reference #: 9447_1530963
Categories: Human Resources - Generalists, Human Resources - Management, Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director), Human Resources - ALL CATEGORIES, Management - ALL CATEGORIES
Position Title: Director, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Accountable To: General Manager FLSA: Exempt
Primary Objective of Position
Responsible for short and long term planning and management of the Human Resources function. Recommend the department's budget and manage expenses within approved budget constraints. Major areas of responsibility/management include, but are not limited to, employment, wage and salary administration, benefits, training, employee/labor relations, organizational development and payroll. Work closely with the General Manager in implementing, achieving and maintaining the hotels and Trust's goals and objectives. Participate in total hotel management as a member of the hotel Executive Committee.
- Establish and implement annual objectives for the Human Resources Department, including a departmental mission statement. Establish, maintain and ensure adherence to all personnel-related policies and procedures. Respond in a courteous, professional and rapid manner in order to resolve all guest and staff difficulties. Apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems in order to perform and direct many varied and complex tasks. Interact with employees and guests beyond giving and receiving instructions, emphasizing relationships with supervisor, subordinates, co-workers and guests in completing assignments. Resolve staff and guest complaints.
- Develop, direct and oversee overall hotel recruitment and hiring activities strategies for all exempt and non-exempt positions. Support and uphold hotel philosophy concerning hiring, employee relations, supervision and disciplinary action. Directly facilitate, in conjunction with hotel managers, open employee communications to discern grievances and to respond to those grievances in all appropriate manners, including redressing those meriting correction. Assist in recruitment and interviewing of candidates for all executive positions; conduct wage/salary/benefit surveys of the local market and recommend enhancements of the hotel's compensation plan.
- Provide hotel-wide communication vehicles and interact in courteous and professional manner with all guests, staff and community members. Supervise, direct, coordinate, influence and persuade staff in order to maintain service standards of hotel. Maintain safety and cleanliness of work areas and employee areas, including, but not limited to, the employee cafeteria and locker room.
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate hotel training programs that provide for specific skills training and management/supervisory development, including anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training. Direct and coordinate human resources activities to hire, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel. Direct administration of performance appraisals in all departments. Maintain hotel's human resources information system so as to provide accurate employee records that comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Monitor hotel's compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Oversee and investigate all employee relations and labor-related matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII, DA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, workers' compensation and comparable state and local laws and general human and civil rights. Must be familiar with applicable collective bargaining agreements and relevant local labor union(s). Maintain and administer employment, wage and salary, benefit, OSHA, ERISA, ADA and incentive programs (where applicable).
- Participate in the budget process as it relates to staffing, productivity. Benefit costs. And employee/labor relations costs. Provide guidelines, direction and support in the administration of the disciplinary process. Prepare and maintain operating budget. Monitor staff turnover and recommend changes and improvements.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and work closely with all Executive Team members in supporting and achieving the hotel's goals and objectives.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meeting is required.
Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with Trust rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel facilities. Associates who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Adhere to all Trust Human Resources SOPs
- Coach and counsel associates and managers.
- Advise General Manger and Executive Committee of potential human resources opportunities.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with community leaders.
- Be a leader and a role model to all associates.
- Participate in the Manager on Duty program
-Be an enthusiastic, helpful and positive member of the team
-Be professional, responsible and mature in conduct and behavior
-Be understanding of, encouraging to and friendly with all co-workers
-Be self motivated and use time wisely
-Maintain open line of communications with each department
-Communicate pertinent information
-Respond positively to new ideas
-Openly accept critical/developmental feedback
-Report to work on time
-Maintain effective communication through the use of meetings and memorandums
-Be available to help all departments in emergency situations
-Perform other assignments as directed by the corporate office
-Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies established by the company including, but not limited too those contained in the associate handbook.
Safety and Security:
- Be knowledgeable of policies regarding emergency procedures and security concerns
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
-Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
-Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
-Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
-Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision
-Desire to participate as a part of a team.
-Must possess basic computational ability.
-Ability to access, input, analyze and retrieve information from computers.
-Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills, as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
-Thorough knowledge of wage and salary, employment and benefits administration and payroll.
-Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
-Ability to be proactive and reactive to anticipated and sudden changes especially as they relate to the labor situation.
-Ability to focus and maintain attention to performance of tasks and to work and complete assignments on time despite frequent stressful, emergency, critical or unusual interruptions.
-Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to verbally convey detailed instructions to employees of guests.
-Ability to create, implement and monitor hotel and staff goals, strategies and policies.
-Ability to be resourceful, creative and maintain flexibility.
-Ability to train, motivate, evaluate, mentor and direct employees and managers to meet desired ends.
-Must possess basic computer skills.
-Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, NLRA and ERISA.
-Ability to maintain excellent relations with staff and maintain staff and guest confidentiality at all times.
-Ability to accept responsibility for actions of others.
-Ability to manage by example.
-Exceptional oral communication skills to ensure ability to negotiate and persuade guests and staff to achieve results beneficial to operation of the hotel.
-Ability to converse calmly with irate guests, superiors and subordinates in intense emotional situations.
-Ability to memorize, recollect and quickly retrieve dates, names times and other data.
-Ability to participate in (and lead when necessary) all departmental and hotel-wide meetings.
-Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems.
-Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 6 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. This includes traveling to and from meetings and may include air travel. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
-Most tasks are performed independently or in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
-Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
-Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs occasionally.
-Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, pulling, pushing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
-Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates
-Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
-Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
-Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment.
- Ability to perceive the nature of sound with or without a correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and make fine discriminations in sound.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!