Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Payroll
Guidehouse is a leading management consulting firm serving the public and commercial markets. We guide our clients forward towards new futures that build trust in society and your professional skills along the journey. Join us at Guidehouse.
Guidehouse is looking for a dynamic and detailed oriented Director, Payroll who will provide strategic direction and expertise to the payroll function. The Payroll Director leads all aspects of payroll administration and maintains the operational effectiveness of the team. Ensures the payroll team is in compliance with the wage & hour laws, federal and state regulations, International regulatory guidelines and company's policies. Creates short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations. This position will report to the Partner, HR Operations and Shared Services Leader.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary areas of responsibility will include:
- Payroll Management
- Oversees payroll processes and procedures including taxes and finance demands regarding the payroll process
- Designs short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations as well as payroll communications strategy
- Prepare and analyze necessary payroll reporting to identify anomalies and implement proactive measures while ensuring proper compliance
- Build and deliver Business Intelligence reports to fit the business needs
- Ensures payroll accounts are balanced by resolving payroll discrepancies and partnering with Shared Services, Compensation, Benefits and HRIS for timely resolution
- Expertise in navigating through complex employee pay (especially academic pay), payroll processes, and technical issues Maintains data integrity of payroll information;
- Oversees quarterly and end of year tax filing processes; Develops and oversees fiscal controls to ensure accuracy, timely reconciliation, and prompt payment of payroll deductions and benefits (supports ad hoc issues for garnishments, 401K match, tax withholding, etc.)
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments
- Demonstrated experience in successfully partnering with multiple stakeholder groups from diverse backgrounds and building consensus in a large, rapidly growing organization
- Manages activities of the Payroll team ensuring the success of team performance against pre-established goals/ objectives and timely service to all customers
- Manages, plans and sets payroll customer service objectives
- Manages the day-to-day payroll service center operations; sets performance targets
- Makes assignments for inbound/ outbound fulfillment of tickets
- Partners with Finance staff, HR and third-party vendors to ensure proper alignment and compliance with all Payroll and company policies
- Organizes the team for ad hoc meetings as needed in order to pursue problem payroll issues
- Participates in the Due Diligence of Acquisitions as required
Policy and Compliance
- Keeps abreast of payroll policy changes initiated at federal, state and local levels. Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Extensive knowledge of international, federal, state and local tax regulations, and demonstrated experience developing and implementing payroll processes in compliance with payroll standards, legal compliance and best practices;
- Experience working with quarterly and year end filings such as VEC, 941, 1042s and W2s
- Works with International Tax Office and Provost Office as it relates to international legislation, non-resident alien tax treaties and expat issues
- Serves as the point of contact for Internal, State and Federal HR & Payroll audits
- Ensures proper preparation and timely processing of payroll in compliance with International regulations and domestic federal, state and local laws
Processes, Procedures and Systems
- Utilizes technical knowledge to provide direction to staff who are responsible for payroll execution and payroll systems administration
- Advanced knowledge in Company HRIS to ensure maximum usage and functionality to ensure successful interface with payroll platform (ADP Vantage)
- Evaluates and improves payroll processes
Skill / Requirements
- Self-starter; ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, "start-up/greenfield" environment
- Willing to take risks and tackle large, complex projects even if outside the scope of expertise
- Innovative and creative; solutions oriented
- Continuous learning mindset; takes advantage of ideas, best practices, and solutions developed elsewhere and effectively translates
- Highly collaborative and fosters active participation across stakeholders
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Effective vendor management and partnership
- Effectively builds credibility, demonstrates judgment and superior customer service
- Adaptable in a constantly changing environment, organized and able to handle pressure well
- Ability to multi-task, conduct research and generate online strategies
- Ability to work autonomously and manage remote workers
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead a team through your own example
- Demonstrated ability to work well with all levels of the organization
- Strong customer orientation, sense of urgency in getting things done, and ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to handle confidential material
- Highly detailed and results oriented
- Experience successfully completing audits from the federal and state level
- Experience processing executive / partner pay
- Advanced/Masters degree preferred in related field (e.g. Finance, Accounting or Business)
- American Payroll Association (APA), Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Fundamentals of Payroll Certification (FPC) preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in related field with 7-10+ years of experience in Payroll Management, Labor, Time and Attendance, Training & Development and Payroll Tax
5 years supervisory/management experience preferred
- Extensive knowledge of payroll compliance, policies and procedures and corresponding federal, state and local regulation
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage, including selecting, coaching, and developing team members
- Knowledge and skills to develop and deliver payroll related training and communications
- Consultative and customer service orientation
- Knowledge and experience with Workday, ADP Enterprise/Vantage, PeopleSoft, etc.
- Experience with systems implementation/conversion of Workday, ADP Enterprise/Vantage, PeopleSoft, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, Domestic and International employees, and multi-state jurisdiction taxation
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities, or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Rewards and Benefits
Guidehouse offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation and a flexible benefits package that reflects our commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
Medical, Rx, Dental & Vision Insurance
Personal and Family Sick Time & Company Paid Holidays
Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance
401(k) Retirement Plan
Basic Life & Supplemental Life
Health Savings Account, Dental/Vision & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
Tuition Reimbursement, Personal Development & Learning Opportunities
Skills Development & Certifications
Employee Referral Program
Corporate Sponsored Events & Community Outreach
Emergency Back-Up Childcare Program