Diocese of Tucson
Job Title: Human Resources Administrator - Compliance Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: Human Resources Dept./Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center / Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Human Resources Director or HR Manager, is responsible for all processing of criminal history and background screening for the Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center, parishes, schools, and other organizations serving the Catholic faithful within the Diocese of Tucson. This includes providing support in the areas of training on screening requirements to all organization compliance officers and other personnel within the Diocese of Tucson, as well as provide HR support as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform in support of the Church and the diocese’s spiritual and pastoral mission.
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures.
- Assist the Human Resources Director or Manager to coordinate, organize and perform, with effectiveness, timeliness, accuracy, and attention to detail, the activities of compliance administration and screening process within the framework of Catholic Doctrine and Catholic Principles of morality.
- Carry out all responsibilities with balance, empathy, sensitivity, and patience, exercises balance and prudent judgment in the application and interpretation of Diocesan personnel policies, practices, and procedures and adherence to applicable compliance plans.
- Process criminal history, credit history and/or motor vehicle screening requests for all Priests, Religious, Lay employees and volunteers in the Diocese of Tucson and Affiliated Organizations on a timely and consistent basis.
- Provide guidance and assistance to compliance representatives and/or organization personnel.
- Keep management updated on processing delays or potential background check concerns.
- Proactively processes compliance and screening practices, policies and procedures are adhered to by parishes, schools, Catholic entities and diocesan offices and departments to include related laws, Diocesan personnel policies, practices, and procedures and applicable compliance plans.
- Engage and interact with Directors, Pastors, Principals, Business Managers, Compliance Officers, etc. on issues pertaining to diocesan compliance program and screening processes, including answering all inquiries regarding criminal, motor vehicle and credit history checks and clearances in a timely manner.
- Assist in the training and educating of compliance officers, organization personnel and volunteers in all entities served.
- Fosters communication and works collaboratively with all Diocesan personnel; ensure open and active communication with Clergy, Religious, Lay Employees and Volunteers at the Parishes, Schools and Catholic Entities within the Diocese of Tucson to ensure visibility and development of trust relationships.
- Ensure open and active communications with all HR department employees to ensure a cohesive relationship among all employees.
- Set an example for employees by personal adherence to and compliance with personnel policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality on all HR matters including criminal history files.
- Provide administrative support to the HR department as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Human Resources Director of the Diocese of Tucson.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of, and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church; must also be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player
- Ability to travel, and be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of excel and related technology
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding personnel-related information
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance
Education and Experience:
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in human resources, Business, or Public Administration from an accredited institution.
- Must have a minimum of three years’ experience as a practicing human resources professional.
- Must have a minimum of five years’ experience in a high activity environment as an administrative assistant or equivalent experience.Other Preferred Skills and Abilities: