County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Risk Management Director
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under the oversight of the Deputy County Manager of General Services, responsible for the planning, implementation and management of the Risk Management department and staff in the areas of insurance, risk management, safety and loss control and quality assurance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities Summary
- Direct and oversee the work of staff in insurance and risk management functions for the County.
- Direct and oversee the work of risk management staff conducting OSHA compliance and occupational safety/health and loss control programs and loss investigations.
- Monitor the status and development and advise on strategy, of liability, property/casualty, worker's compensation insurance claims as handled by staff, third party administrators and/or insurance companies.
- Direct and oversee the work of staff conducting the risk management quality assurance programs.
- Review and evaluate current insurance contracts; prepare insurance reports; develop, recommend and implement the County's insurance and risk management programs based on sound principles and practices.
- Oversee preparation of competitive bid specifications for all lines of insurance coverage, safety training programs and other risk management related goods and services.
- Oversee the investigation, reporting and notification to attorneys and insurance claims adjusters.
- Represent the County on committees or at meetings pertaining to insurance and risk management matters.
- Supervise, direct, evaluate and oversee the training of personnel assigned to the risk management department.
- Responsible for the preparation of the department budget and in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Oversee the preparation of reports related to the activities of the risk management department.
- Ensure the development, communication, training and implementation of the Department's Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) Communicate the Department's EOP to all department staff. Train all levels of department personnel on the EOP. Ensure full participation of all employees and that roles have been established and delegated to lower management. Direct and execute the Emergency Management Procedures for the Department ensuring the safety of all residents and employees.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Public Administration or closely related discipline, plus five (5) years of experience that includes specific responsibilities described in the above duties, with three (3) of those years in a management capacity with supervisory responsibilities; OR any related combination of education from an accredited college or university or related experience in this occupation totaling nine (9) years with three (3) of those years in a management capacity with supervisory responsibilities may substitute for the required education and experience and may be interchangeable on a year for year basis
- Nationally or globally recognized professional designation preferred in the areas of; Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Certified Risk Manager (CRM), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Quality Auditor (CQA), and Certified Emergency Manager (CEM).
- Employee must have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and maintain a valid NM driver's license while employed in this position.
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's)
- Comprehensive knowledge of insurance regulations, risk management, occupational safety, loss control, emergency management, quality assurance, budgeting and financial management.
- Ability to research, interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures and make recommendations for the resolution of risk management problems.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and database capabilities.
- Ability to evaluate, analyze and develop resolutions for insurance and risk management related problems.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office management practices and operating procedures.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and making decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English.
- Ability to interact professionally with management, staff, and the public.
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Employee must complete required FEMA training(s) as assigned to position.
- Employee must complete required Supervisor classes if applicable.
- All essential duties are performed indoors.
- Duties are performed in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Duties are performed on an even surface, which may be carpeted or tile. Working surface is typically dry.
- Worker often works alone both with or without direction from supervisor
- Equipment typically used in the performance of office duties include telephone, computer terminal, computer printer, computer keyboard, typewriter, photocopy machine, fax machine and calculator.
- Materials and products handled in the course of performing essential duties include files, forms, reports, various other paperwork, and a wide variety of basic office supplies.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER