City of Coppell
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Code Compliance Officer
at City of Coppell
- Basic Function
The purpose of this position is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public and to enhance the quality of life within the City of Coppell through the enforcement of minimum property and building maintenance standards.This position performs most duties on a Monday-Friday schedule, with some overtime or irregular hours worked when the Chief Code Compliance Officer or Chief Building Official deem necessary.
- Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for Property Maintenance Inspections. This includes: conducting complaint based field inspections and re-inspection of all properties; conducting proactive and reactive field inspections and re-inspections; assessing the inspection to determine correct path for compliance; documenting inspection records and attaching supporting documentation; issuing correction notices and/or citations; coordinating contractor abatement processes; meeting with customers in the field; referring nuisances and other violations to prescribed departments.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records, which includes compiling data and preparing related reports. Utilizes records in the prosecution of court cases.
- Maintains databases of dates, names, addresses, and deadlines of complaints, investigations, code violations, and notifications of warnings or citations.
- Increases compliance with City codes by communicating effectively and courteously while researching and responding to customer complaints and questions in person, writing, and by telephone.
- Assists Municipal Court with Code Compliance violations. Convenes monthly with City Prosecutor and customers regarding violations and/or citations. Prepares court documents, obtains evidence, and testifies in Court, judge/ jury trials or other proceedings when necessary.
- Prepares and presents appeals to the Building Standards Commission and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Coordinates duties and projects with other City departments involved in code enforcement. Investigates title information to determine property ownership.
- Perform other related tasks as requested, assigned, or required.
- City of Coppell Core Competencies
Knowledge and ability to correctly apply professional/specialized expertise; skillfully manage information; properly use tools, equipment and technology; effectively allocate resources; proactively identify and resolve issues; consistently make sound decisions; correctly execute policy processes and procedures; strictly adhere to/enforce safety polices; consistently produce quality results; proactively plan and organize; consistently provide exceptional customer service.
Motivation of Self & Others: We demonstrate a core desire to serve the Public and the Organization through our commitment, passion, initiative and drive.
Leadership of Self & Others: We motivate, inspire and influence others to strive towards excellence by being participatory, positive, accountable, team focused, influential in goal achievement, and empowering.
Service -Oriented: We behave in a friendly and professional manner centering on a desire to address the needs of internal and external customers while respecting their rights and dignity by being people-oriented, helpful, understanding and compassionate.
Trustworthy: We earn the confidence of others by demonstrating both the character and the competence to fulfill our obligations with both integrity and honesty along with ethical, credible behavior.
Relational: We establish trust, cooperation, mutual respect and support with an objective to improve relationships by valuing diversity and being diplomatic/tactful, cooperative, empathetic, broadminded, flexible, respectful and compassionate/caring.
Communication: We exchange information and ideas in a manner which results in mutually supported decisions for the greater good by sharing thoughts & feelings, and through persuasiveness, assertiveness, empathic listening, conflict resolution and deliberating/debating.
Emotional Maturity: We demonstrate the ability to manage and monitor our emotions and to assess the emotional state of others by understanding stress management, balance and consistency.
Development of Self & Others: We are committed to improving the knowledge, skills, personal qualifications and performance of ourselves and others through coaching, counseling/discipline, delegation and self-development.
Organizational Awareness: We are aware of the Organization's structure and culture for how we do business by understanding organizational structure, departmental impact on organization, interdepartmental relations, organizational culture, organizational development and leadership style.
Global Awareness: We stay informed of issues and trends that may impact the Organization by understanding intergovernmental relations, political awareness, and media/public relations.
Community Awareness: We have a sense of the community's culture and its impact on service delivery by understanding purpose of service, citizen/stakeholder expectations, demographics and branding.
Professional Insight: We thoroughly understand our particular professions and apply the principles and ethics required in the professions' service delivery by applying principles, professional ethics and by understanding future/profession trends, legal implications and resource planning.
Innovation: We successfully implement ideas that improve and/or add value to service delivery through creative thinking, risk taking, continuous improvement and by being quality minded and a change agent.
Critical Thinking: We actively and skillfully conceptualize, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information to reach a sound answer or conclusion by understanding issue/problem identification, analysis, consequences, and by balancing decision factors.
Visioning: We understand the future direction of the Organization and understand the efforts and processes needed to achieve it through goal setting and by following the mission/values.
- Skilled in performing inspections and investigations;
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, code, ordinances, rules,regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Skilled in mediating and diffusing hostile situations;
- Skilled in exercising judgment and discretion;
- Skilled in conducting research;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, and explaining applicable laws, codes, ordinances, rules,
- regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in speaking in public;
- Skilled in preparing communication education programs;
- Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports, including oral, written, and audio/visual
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on
- findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Minimum Requirements
A high school diploma or GED is required. A bachelor's degree in related field preferred. The employee must possess a valid Texas Class C driver's license and a good driving record and be able to pass a motor vehicle registration check and a drug screening. The employee must possess a Code Enforcement Officer certification from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or obtain certification within first six months of employment. The City will pay for the required test up to two times. The employee will be responsible for additional testing fees and materials. Failure to obtain the required certification within the allotted time frame may result in an extended probationary period or possible release from position. A minimum of three (3) years' experience in the code enforcement field and five (5) years of customer service experience is required.