City of Cambridge
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Cambridge
In support of the Office of the Commissioner, this position will be working in the Office of Planning, Budget and Personnel to assist in providing high quality and confidential management of the Departments human resources functions including payroll and personnel. The primary function of this position is to prepare and process the weekly payroll of the Department. The Payroll Coordinator will also perform payroll/personnel tasks relating to general understanding of civil service and non-civil service employment procedures. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform various duties associated with the processing and preparation of the Police Department weekly and monthly payrolls for over 300 police employees of various classifications and assist with distribution of paychecks. Collect and review department weekly timesheets for accuracy.
- Complete weekly and monthly Payroll Register and distribute weekly and monthly paychecks.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and calculations of standard and other work benefit hours such as: sick, personal, vacation, administrative and any other leave time adjustments, longevity, overtime and court-time pay hours, annual step increments, clothing/cleaning allowances, sworn education incentives, various stipends, prorated benefits, and other miscellaneous wage and compensation tasks. Perform monthly leave time reconciliations and prepare memoranda/reports documenting use of leave/benefit time.
- Complete employment verifications.
- Prepare, process, and track various payroll and personnel transactions such as personnel transaction forms, new hires, step progressions, stipends, vacancy job/description forms, civil service forms, and other employment-related forms.
- Complete work-related injury documentation for Worker's Compensation processing, including requisitions and schedule of payments for medical bills, invoices, employee reimbursements and complete retiree reimbursements.
- Familiarize him/herself with relevant policies and procedures, including those found in the Employee Manual, Collective Bargaining Agreements, and Municlass Manual.
- Assist in maintaining files within the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel including personnel, medical, benefits, payroll and other materials.
- Assist employees with payroll matters and questions relating to benefits and available resources. Provide a high level of customer service to employees in person or over the phone regarding inquiries about human resources and other matters related to the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel. Act as a liaison with other City Departments such as Payroll, Benefits, Auditing, and Finance.
- Assist in human resources-related and budget-related projects in support of the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel, and perform other administrative duties as assigned.
Skill / Requirements
Excellent communication, organizational, analytical and planning skills. Must have strong attention to detail and accuracy. Must have strong keyboarding skills; be proficient in PeopleSoft HR applications or similar database applications. Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, to a high level including the use of formulas. Must be able to learn new systems. Three years of office work experience with preference in the area of preparation and maintenance of payroll and/or accounting. Experience with human resources/personnel work in a large organization is highly desired, as is experience in handling confidential and sensitive information. Demonstrated customer service experience. Must be able to deal with the diverse public in a professional and courteous manner. Good problem-solving techniques necessary. At least one year administrative support experience in accounts payable/receivable, finance, and/or debt collection or an associate degree in accounting or related field preferred.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on 06/17/19 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139 Fax 617-349-4312. We are an AA/EEO Employer.