Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Chautauqua Institution
Chautauqua Institution is a ‘not-for-profit global conveyer of dialogue and debate on the most significant issues of the day through engagement across four pillars of arts, education, religion and recreation. The Chautauqua Community is located on the shores of Chautauqua Lake in Southwestern New York State and comes alive each summer with a unique mix of fine/performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship/programs, and recreational activities.
The Payroll Manager will report to the Director of Human Resources with direction from the Executive Vice President/CFO to oversee payroll processing for employees at Chautauqua Institution, Athenaeum Hotel and Chautauqua Foundation. The incumbent will function as a subject matter expert on payroll taxes/deductions and legal compliance. Human Resources, as supported by the Payroll Manager, will ensure benefits and compensation initiatives are aligned with payroll function and Chautauquas Total Reward Strategy.
· Collaborate with Human Resources to complete onboarding processes for new and returning employees from executive leaders to seasonal staff (1,600+) for preseason and operating season (June - August). Maintain accurate payroll information and records by designing systems to collect, calculate and enter complex data into iCims Recruitment Platform and UltiPro Payroll Software.
· Follow internal procedures to obtain required approvals prior to processing or updating employment information, including but not limited to: hires, transfers, promotions, merit increases and wage adjustments. Classify new, returning and transferred employees into correct employment categories to establish benefits eligibility/paid time off accruals.
· Process related payroll data, such as insurance, legal deductions and pension contributions.
· Manage accurate and timely payment of wages for all employees, including maintaining established controls and documentation in support of payroll activities. Balances payroll accounts by resolving outstanding discrepancies prior to transmitting.
· Communicate with time approvers organization-wide to enforce established deadlines for payroll processing and expedite resolution of required changes/discrepancies to guarantee timely payroll.
· Support an employee-oriented organizational culture emphasizing quality, continuous improvement, collaboration and high performance. Remain accessible, visible and ready to serve as a coach for internal colleagues and employees with questions on HRIS/Payroll.
· Partner with Human Resources to disseminate payroll procedures to new/returning employees including: accessing employment and payroll information online/via phone application, timeclock training, timekeeping policies/procedures, reporting timekeeping errors, employee/management process for resolution of errors, distribution of funds by check/direct deposit and use of onsite banking for check cashing.
· Correct any outstanding payroll issues post processing by conferring with management on an accurate resolution and making documented adjustments as required.
· Provide subject matter expertise on payroll taxes, including proper withholding and remittance of federal, state and local taxes and production/distribution of W-2s 1099s. Compile summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability and nontaxable wages.
· Determine payroll liabilities by approving calculation of employee income and social security taxes, employer social security, unemployment and workers compensation payments.
· Maintain ongoing communication with Human Resources regarding labor law regulations impacting payroll procedures and work as a department to coach operations management on "best practices" and hold accountable if violations to law/policies occur. Study existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
· Ensure data integrity and legal compliance by using system generated reports to consistently audit and reconcile wage deductions/payments with Federal/State Wage & Hour Laws, Health Care Reform Act, ERISA, FMLA/Paid Family Leave, Disability, Unemployment and Tax Laws.
· Analyze and review current payroll procedures and recommend/implement policies and procedures for maximum efficiency. Assign duties and tasks to available support staff as needed.
· Prepare ad-hoc and/or system generated reports for operations management which provide weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end payroll information required to control labor/effectively manage operations and staff, including but not limited to: gross payroll, hours worked, overtime, paid time off accruals and benefit/tax deductions.
· Function as an internal systems expert regarding HRIS System (iCims/UltiPro) and act as a leader/trainer during software upgrades and transitions while actively participating in learning processes and training.
· Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing publications, establishing professional networks and participating in relevant payroll organizations.
· Manage highly confidential payroll information in accordance with policy to protect operations and employee confidence. Provide direction to onsite banking facilities regarding payroll confidentiality and sensitivity of information as related to employee check cashing.
Skill / Requirements
Formal Education Requirements
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent combination of education/work experience required.
- Formal Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) with prior experience in labor law/legal compliance in New York State strongly preferred.
Formal Experience Requirements
- 3-5 years progressive experience in payroll administration or equivalent combination of education/work experience required. Working knowledge of UltiPro Software preferred.
Skills and Abilities
· Comprehensive working knowledge of Payroll Functions, including: Payroll Administration/Taxes, Policies/Procedures, HRIS System Management and Legal Compliance including Federal/State Wage & Hour Laws, FMLA/Paid Family Leave, Health Care Reform Act, ERISA, Unemployment and Tax Laws.
· Expert communication skills to navigate and coach employees/colleagues at all levels on complex, time sensitive and highly confidential payroll issues requiring consistent ethics and professionalism.
· Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems using independent judgement that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or law.
· Must possess demonstrated ability to handled multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work with competing demands and balanced patience while focusing on accuracy/attention to detail.
· Advanced word processing skills including reading comprehension, research, summarizing, editing/writing and daily utilization of MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Share Point) and other web-based software.
The Human Resources Department at Chautauqua Institution is hiring a Payroll Manager to support an employee-oriented organizational culture emphasizing collaboration, continuous improvement, and high performance.
This is a full time, year-round position with an impressive total rewards package, including health, dental, vision, wellness program, pension, paid time off, life insurance and (of course) gate pass with access to programming.