Arapahoe County Sheriff
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Equipment Training and Safety Coordinator
at Arapahoe County Sheriff
The Arapahoe County Public Works & Development Department is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Road and Bridge Division team. You'll get the best training in the business and the support of an awesome team. The ideal candidate should possess the desire to work hard every day towards a team goal and enjoy performance-based annual salary increases.
This job offers opportunities to work for a high performing organization that strives for excellence every day, in which employees are encouraged to grow professionally through personal development and increased responsibility.
If you are seeking steady employment with multiple opportunities growth and leadership, we are looking for you!
Benefits of working for Arapahoe County Road and Bridge:
- Annual salary increases based on hard work and attitude
- Promotions based on hard work and attitude
- Goal oriented workload
- Excellent balance between hard work and time off provided each year
- 15 days (120 hours) paid vacation leave
- 12 paid holidays (96 hours)
- 1 paid personal holiday (8 hours)
- 12 paid sick days (96 hours)
- 3 day weekends! 4 - 10 hour work days are routine unless weather or other circumstances arise
- Work hours are typically 7AM to 5PM Monday through Thursday
- Insurance - please see benefits tab
- Retirement - work at a career rather than another job
- Uniforms and laundry service provided
- All PPE provided including steel toe boots.
The Training Coordinator performs a variety of administrative and Road and Bridge (R&B) division training requirements to prepare employees with the skills necessary to conduct road maintenance and construction activities. These duties include, but are not limited to, training assessment, testing, development, coordinating and maintaining documentation and reporting requirements.
- The anticipated hiring range based on final qualifications of candidate is $25.00 to $28.00 hourly.
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
- Trains and/or tests new and existing employees to attain Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Also trains and/or tests other employees on various pieces of construction equipment to ensure operators adhere to industry best safety practices
- Evaluates, reviews, reports and documents accidents and incidents for the R&B division. Provides and recommends safety instruction according to industry standards and keeps abreast of new trends and practices. Maintains the R&B Accident Safety Point Guidelines System
- Conducts initial divisional orientation/on-boarding and training of new employees. Assists employees to acquire employee ID, flagger certification, fuel card, necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other associated materials, information and documents for new employees
- Works closely with environmental compliance officials and others to ensure Runoff Control Plan compliance with all applicable regulations and requirements. Performs weekly facility grounds inspections at R&B facilities and works to resolve and track/document findings.
- Operates snow removal equipment and supports other emergency operation functions. During emergency operations, may be required to work in shifts outside of normal business hours.
- Performs, facilitates or coordinates a variety of training events including, but not limited to CPR/first aid, forklift certification, defensive driving, Incident Command System (ICS) and/or others as assigned
- Conducts bi-weekly safety meetings and facilitates safety training during quarterly meetings and/or other occasions as may be deemed necessary
- Maintains various employee and departmental records pertaining to safety and training performance
- Responsible for the administration, coordination and oversight of the annual R&B employee uniform contract, as well as other contracts related to employee supplies, PPE and miscellaneous materials
- Performs other duties as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of characteristics and principles of adult training.
- Thorough knowledge of industry safety practices and procedures with the ability to train others effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of all assigned equipment.
- Knowledge of road construction material and specifications.
- Thorough knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)guidelines.
- Ability to acquire necessary endorsements and certificates.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations, and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching or mentoring skills related to safety rules, regulations, practices and industry standards.
- Skill in the operation of various types of hand tools, light and heavy equipment.
- Ability to supervise, train and evaluate skill level of assigned personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, contractors, other employees, and the general public.
- Service First
- Excellent Quality
- Responsive Government
- Visionary Thinking
- Caring Leadership
- Effective Communication
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Respect for Others
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Three (3) years of experience with Heavy Highway Equipment with at least two (2) years of experience as a Light Equipment Operator (per Arapahoe County position description) with a work history reflecting safety orientation and safe operating standards.
Any equivalent combination of education and work experience that satisfy the requirements of the job may be considered.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Acceptable completion of pre-employment background and motor vehicle checks.
- Must also complete acceptable physical, drug screen and strength tests.
POST-EMPLOYMENT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid class "A" license with tanker endorsement within 6 months of hire.
- Successful completion of Colorado Dept. of Revenues CDL tester-trainer course within 6 months of hire.
- Current Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) instruction certificate.
- Proficient in the operation of relevant heavy equipment with the ability to train others.
- Specialized training or coursework relating to safe construction practices, standards and principles is desired but not required.
- Supplemental Information
- General direction is provided by the Road and Bridge Division Manager and the Road Operations Manager. May also receive instruction from Supervisors.
- This may include indirect supervision of technical, maintenance and support staff related to and during safety and other training exercises or programs.
- Contacts are with supervisors, management, peers, subordinates, elected officials, users, and/or vendors. Contacts require the ability to exercise a high degree of interpersonal skills to influence persons at all levels. Incumbent is accountable for the results of the contact.
- Position requires exposure to all types of weather and driving conditions.
- This position is required to work on an on-call basis for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions at all hours of the day or night. Shiftwork for snowstorms may require 16 hour shifts or longer based on the severity of the storm.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Spends a 50% of the time sitting and, 50% either standing or walking.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, pulls, or pushes up to 80 lbs.
- Uses cart dolly, or other equipment to carry in excess of 80 lbs.
- Occasionally stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls, and crouches while performing work duties in an office and outdoor setting.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephones, radios, etc.
- Constant use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of automated office machinery, equipment and tools in a field setting.
- Visual capacity enabling constant use of computer equipment, construction equipment and vehicles.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.
Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (i.e. uploading or attaching documents to your online application), call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627. Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application, first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt uploading (attaching) it.