Academies of Math and Science
2016 Arizona Charter School of the Year
2018 Runner-Up Reader’s Choice Awards: Best Place to Work
Director of Culture & HR - Tucson, AZ (start date June 2019)
Academies of Math and Science is a fast-growing, high-performing charter school network dedicated to serving low income communities. Growing at approximately 50% a year, AMS will employ 400 employees next year and almost 600 employees the following year.
AMS is a culture that believes in leader autonomy and that the most important factor in the retention of employees is a great relationship between the employee and their immediate supervisor. As such, the HR Director must work with supervisors in a way that ensures they are in compliance with all HR laws and must provide directed coaching when necessary to improve and protect this relationship and not create an HR department that becomes a center for employee complaints.
The Director of HR must:
- Believe in our vision of local leader autonomy and be able to work in an environment where they are resources for supervisors
- Proactively work with school leaders to anticipate employee issues and to provide coaching to school leaders to improve relationship with employees and proactively document performance deficits in
- Have minimum 5 years of experience as an HR professional
- Possess various HR certifications such as PHR or SHRM
Candidate must have experience in:
- EEO, FMLA, and all employment law compliance
- Managing Employee benefits programs (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short/Long-term Disability, 401k, etc.)
- Coaching supervisors on what they can do to create superior cultures at their campus
- Handling employee litigations and working directly with legal counsel to do so
- Identifying company-wide initiatives that foster improved workplace environments
- Revisions of the HR policy and employee handbook
- Overseeing a team of HR personnel
- Coordinating and ensuring the timely communication of the talent recruitment and HR personnel and local supervisors leading to a quick and superior experience of onboarding for new candidates
- Ensuring the compliance of 100% of new hires with our existing HR policies and procedures
- Approving new agreements for issuance to employees
- Leading the development of compensation structures which create proper incentives and minimize negative incentives or externalities
- Development of compensation structures which create proper incentives and minimize negative incentives or externalities
- Implementing and utilizing HR software
What we are looking for in an ideal candidate:
- Be an innovative, collaborative, and action-oriented People Operations professional with at least 5 years of experience as an HR professional.
- Is a leader with experience planning, designing and implementing a comprehensive set of People Operations initiatives that meet the business objectives of the company.
- Is passionate about people development and developing compensation programs tied to the company’s main KPI’s, with ability to translate that passion into programs that build employee engagement and develop employees at all levels.
- Is a leader with strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to manage employee communications and relations, conflict management, team-building and coaching, and the ability to guide people through change.
- Will be intellectually curious, a problem solver with deep People Operations knowledge and will build a solid knowledge of AMS. An executive who can add perspective and leadership beyond functional responsibility.
- Has strong knowledge of Employment Laws and Compliance and best practices of each.
- Is a hands-on leader with the ability to attract a highly motivated and talented team.
- Inspires a culture of innovation, execution, collaboration, accountability, positivity and fun.
- Has a strong work ethic, is a self-starter, and is willing to do what it takes to deliver results.
- Embodies the highest ethical standards, integrity, credibility and character.
- Is able to operate at a strategic as well as operational level.
- Has executive presence and ability to lead and influence by example.
- Is emotionally intelligent and self-aware, collaborative and supportive nature.
- Contributes to the development of and the accomplishment of the organization-wide business plan and objectives.
- Be a tactical HR representative is deeply knowledgeable about the design of work systems in which people succeed and contribute.
- Impacts HR services such as the design of work positions; hiring; reward, recognition and strategic pay; performance development and appraisal systems; career and succession planning; and employee development.
- Plays an integral role in organizational success via his knowledge about and advocacy of people. This advocacy includes expertise in how to create a work environment in which people will choose to be motivated, contributing, and happy.
- Fostering effective methods of goal setting, communication and empowerment through responsibility builds employee ownership of the organization.
- Provide overall talent management strategies, employee development opportunities, employee assistance programs, organization development interventions, problem-solving, and regularly scheduled communication opportunities.
- Possess both a knowledge about and the ability to execute successful change strategies.
- Consciously help to create the right organizational culture, monitoring employee satisfaction, and measuring the results of organization initiatives.
- Take an active role in helping employees advance their careers by identifying areas for improvement and develop specific guidance for action steps.
- Gain a deeper insight into available human capital and the availability of internal candidates for potential role succession.
- Shape organizational culture, manage staff member satisfaction, and weigh the success of change initiatives across the organization.
- Contribute to building a work environment where employees feel satisfied and motivated.
- Deploy effective practices such as employee empowerment, goal setting and open communication, resulting in a positive culture that leads to the workforce delivering better experiences for our schools, staff, and students.
- Provide coaching to our managers and senior leadership team
- Assess training needs and conduct 1:1 and group training sessions as appropriate.
- Set standards and process for new employee’s onboarding and learning.
How to apply:
Apply in 5 minutes through the link below. Please include the following in PDF or .docx format:
1. A detailed resume describing your experience and data-supported accomplishments.
2. A cover letter showcasing your written communication skills and demonstrating your alignment with the AMS mission and competencies.