24 Hour Fitness USA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Area HR Manager
at 24 Hour Fitness USA
Job TitleArea HR Manager
Location11645 Red Road Space H1, Miramar, Florida 33025
This position provides multi-level Human Resources generalist support to clubs and above club leadership and has a significant focus on investigating and resolving team member escalations. The Area Human Resources Manager (AHRM) works as a business partner to the District Manager (DM) and plays a key role in talent development and planning for the district and region. Responsible for the support of Human Resources (HR) initiatives for a district(s), the AHRM works with the district leaders and club leaders, as well as corporate functions from Human Resources (HR) to Loss Prevention and Legal with special focus on the people impacts. This includes phases of planning, implementing, and monitoring for the life cycle of employment; from Talent Acquisition, Compensation, and Benefits, to Talent Development, Performance Management and Employee Relations. The position is responsible for coaching and developing field leadership-- especially focused on the District Managers and Club Manager levels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
1. Team Member Relations
* Provide advice and counsel to district leaders, club management and team members in all areas of Human Resource related programs, policies, issues and laws.
* Communicate and interpret various Company policies, procedures, laws, standards, and government regulations for team members and managers. Ensure all issues are resolved ethically and within company policies and legal guidelines. Educate, coach and develop leadership capability to help prevent future issues or concerns.
* Counsel district and club management regarding compliance with all Federal, State, and local employment laws, and acts as company representative in resolving any agency complaints related to such compliance issues. Works with Regional HR Director and/or legal counsel to ensure that location practices comply with federal and state laws.
* Conduct and document investigations pertaining to Department of Labor, EEOC, DFEH (state), unemployment, and harassment and discrimination complaints in accordance with company guidelines as well as directives by company Legal department. Provide recommendations for appropriate resolution of investigations.
* Coach managers and supervisors utilizing company values, through coaching process, conflict management/resolution, discipline/corrective action procedures, and labor law compliance.
* Respond to all unemployment claim inquiries within established service-level agreements established by vendor or state.
2. Talent Management/Development
* Work closely with district and club level leaders to help create, implement and manage the people plan to align with business objectives.
* Provide consultation, support and guidance to District Managers, club leaders on talent matters, sourcing needs, and strategic placement of talent.
* Lead the talent management/succession planning process and plan for assigned districts to build capability, diversity, manage performance, retain and grow talent.
* Partner with district and club level leaders to develop plans to address short and long term talent needs.
* Lead/facilitate the Workforce Planning/succession planning and Individual Development Plans of high performing team members in respective district.
* Develop, monitor, and educate district and club leadership on recruiting plan, sourcing tactics and selection process to improve the flow, quality and selection of job candidates.
* Train club and district management in all areas of human resources to include policy, talent acquisition, performance management, leadership and management skills.
* Facilitate training of new company programs, HR courses and other initiates as needed.
* Report on talent within assigned districts on a monthly, quarterly and semi-annually basis as required within assigned districts.
* Ensure the administration of on-going TM processes within assigned districts (e.g. performance management, compensation review) when required.
* Participate in the selection process for club level managers and department heads within clubs.
3. Business Partner
* Provide counsel, feedback and coaching on broad ranging issues including business operations, process and all team member related actions that enhances the individual growth and superior performance of respective districts.
* Work systematically to diagnose problems, analyze data, identify root causes and recommend solutions for HR related business issues. In partnership with Regional HR Director, develop creative and innovative solutions for improvement.
* Participate in business leadership meetings as a strategic partner to identify team member impact (development, Team Member relations, compensation, talent management, performance management and diversity initiatives) relative to business strategies.
* Visit club locations on a regular basis independently and with field leadership to identify trends and issues, provide guidance and coaching to club leaders on all HR related issues. Specific focus to include staffing, scheduling, training, productivity/performance, Team Member engagement, career development and compliance.
* Work with Regional Human Resources Director and district leaders to implement diversity strategy and plan that focuses on recruiting, team member engagement, leadership development and community outreach.
* Provide guidance and implementation on change management within respective district and clubs.
This position works closely with club and above club team members, and reports directly to the Regional HR Director. Maintains day-to-day communication with District Managers, Area Directors, Regional Vice Presidents, and Club Managers. This position works effectively with both corporate and field positions, including but not limited to Compensation, Benefits, HRSS, Payroll, Talent Acquisition, Facilities, and Loss Prevention.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of effective HR practices, methods and processes in all areas including recruiting and selection, compensation and benefits, employment law and employee relations, performance management, and training and development.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws, regulations and requirements related to HR including ERISA, EEO, LOAs, ADA, Worker's Compensation, COBRA, Wage & Hour and others.
- Proven ability to develop strategic working relationships with leaders and act as a strategic partner on all people related decisions.
- Proven ability to train and facilitate in front of large groups.
- Skill focusing on desired results, determining what is important and urgent, clarifying next steps, and delegating effectively to meet deadlines and achieve desired results.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information.
- Ability to conduct investigations using sound HR principles and practices.
- Proficient in use of Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
- Proficient in use of social media, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional working relationships with all levels of the organization (ex: frontline team member, district manager or Corporate Director/VP).
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Human Resources or related field.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
- 5+ years of progressive HR generalist experience, including employee relations & investigations/staffing & recruiting/compensation & benefits/training and development. Experience with outside agencies and internal investigations.
- Interviewing experience.
Physical Demands/ Environmental Conditions
- Must be able to stand and move around in clubs for up to up to 8 hours per day.
- May travel up to 40% depending on market support.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of onboarding/recruiting systems.
- SHRM Certified Professional (PHR) or Senior Professional (SPHR).
Preferred Work Experience and Qualification
- Experience working with multi-site management.
- Experience in retail or fitness industry.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required. The incumbent may be expected to perform other duties as assigned. This job may be reviewed as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity.
COMPLIANCE & INTEGRITY: Consistently supports compliance and Workplace Conduct by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements (if applicable), and 24 Hour Fitness' policies and procedures.
All Directors, Managers and Supervisors are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
SERVICE & QUALITY: In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by 24 Hour Fitness as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to member and team members, contracted providers and vendors.
WORKPLACE SAFETY: In addition to defined working conditions and physical requirements, employees are accountable for working safely; following established policies & procedures; and reporting all injuries and hazards to their supervisor immediately.
Supervisors and Managers are accountable for ensuring the safety performance of employees; applying consistent practices in compliance with federal, state and local regulations; providing guidance to maintain a safe and healthy work environment.